Tuesday, May 30, 2006

About the weather......

My dad named me Moushumi Ghose when I was 4 months old. They, meaning my mom and dad, changed it from an ugly American name they had given me to this, something more traditional. Bengali. India. Monsoon, is the translation, sorta. it's basically about the weather. They named my little sister Rimi. the sound of rain. there is something about the sound of rain. I love rain. and clouds, fog and misty weather. We represent it I guess. in our own Ghose sister ways.

I got the name Motor Wilson when I started the band Ze Auto Parts. Five years ago. Time flies. I hate time. It has a way of escaping, of being invisible and arbitrary and empty. it breeds nothingness.

I started playing the guitar in college. I was classically trained in piano for many years, so i thought it was a natural progression. It's amazing how something you learn when you are young sticks with you so easily, but something you learn as an adult wants to fade.

My father tried to learn the piano alongside me. he took lessons, too. my mom would tease him. he eventually stopped. lack of support, time, kids to raise, a demanding career? I shudder to think. the thought that my mother who forced me to practice piano everyday has intolerance for it in her husband. i hope i am wrong. i hope i remember incorrectly. i hope that is not why he stopped. i wish he hadn't stopped. because now the piano just sits there in their living room, mostly catching dust, waiting for me to stop by and play a few notes, maybe a song or two, and someday buy a big house, a home big enough to house our piano, mine and my dad's. he is a piano player in his heart. in my heart. i wish he would play.

My little sister Rimi barely ever played the piano. But she plays guitar now too. She says she's getting good at it. I bought her a bass guitar 3 years ago. Gave her my old little practice amp. I encourage to write lyrics to her songs. She says she comes up with lots of riffs. She likes it a lot. I encourage it.

i am a writer. I can't help it. My mom says I get it from my dad. My dad writes in Bengali. I can't really read it. My dad also wrote a computer program translating the Bengali language to the English computer keyboard. I am a lover of the written word. i can't help it. but I don't write nor speak in Bengali on a regular basis at all for sure. my dad is a hard working genius.

i do love the piano. the 88 heavy wooden keys, the deep resonating mahoganey sounds, so full, so rich, so real compared to the miniature keyboards that are so popular. i do love the piano. on rainy days i would sit and play the piano. one key at a time. one song at a time. one day i would write songs at the piano. if only i had one. in minor keys. until then i have my guitar. and my stage name motor wilson. which is fine just fine for now. i suppose. but not much else, and not quite the same.

No comments:

The Glorious Burn

I'm angry and they say it's the stress Something traumatic from the day I left there No it had nothing to do with the Years of snort...